Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pardon My Dairy-Aire!

So the first time I read about giving up dairy, it was when reading You Are What You Eat by Gillian McKeith.  My reaction was exactly this: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA [gasp] HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

I know Ms. McKeith is a nutritionist and did a very good job explaining why one should give up dairy.  I can even see why one should reduce the amount of dairy, but forever give up milk, yogurt, sour cream, a plethora of cheeses and such delicacies as whipped cream, breve lattes, and my dearly beloved queso?  uh-huh.  no way.  I'll just be fat, thanks.

Kris Carr, however, in Crazy, Sexy Diet had a much more, um, vivid description of how dairy clogs you up.  Literally.  She eloquently sums it up: "milk creates mucus, mucus creates inflammation, stagnation, and a whole lotta disorder in your gut" [p. 92] and then proceeds with all the shitty [pun intended!] details!  It was highly effective approach--at least for me.  Even more so for my roommate, whom I drug along with me on this journey, and who stopped drinking whole milk instantaneously after reading Chapter 4, Tushie and Milk Mustaches.  And you know what?  She's right.  Go ahead, I dare you.  Give up dairy for even a week and see how you feel.  More importantly, when you add it back it you'll notice the heaviness and bloating in your gut. So while I can't give up my beloved dairy forever and ever, thanks to Ms. Carr, I can go longer before indulging.


~a little salt for your tequila and lime (for preventing scurvy, of course!)

No comments: