Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Resolutions...New You!

Okay, so I admit it--I like to read success stories.  It makes me feel that this is all actually possible.  So every January I indulge in buying People's issue of "They Lost Half Their Size!"  I mean we're talking about people who have literally lost an ENTIRE person worth of weight.  That's impressive--I don't care who you are!

There are several commonalities amongst all the people they interview and a great starting point for us all: they cut down on their portion size, they upped their servings of veggies, they started exercising, and--the focus of our next Hellthy Habit--they set realistic and small goals.

One person summed it up best when she said "it's overwhelming to think about losing 200 pounds, but 5 or 10 pounds? That's much easier to think about reaching."

Think about it.  Let's say you need to lose 100 pounds--if you're safely losing 1-2 lbs a week, it will realistically take you at least a year to achieve.  A WHOLE YEAR!  That's a long time.  And what happens when you hit a plateau and your weight is refusing to budge?  My guess (if you tend to think anything like me) is that you're still focused on the gap to your goal, not what you've already lost.  A year is a very long to go without any recognition.  It is more than enough time to let the doubt and fear take hold and make you think about...and make it easier to give up.  However, if you break it up into smaller goals of, let's say 10 pounds, it will only take you 6 weeks to achieve.  Only 6 weeks and you can celebrate a success!  Then 57 pounds down the road when you've hit a plateau, it will be frustrating--yes!--but you ONLY need 3 more pounds to reach your next goal of 60 pounds.  I don't know about you, but 3 pounds sounds A LOT reachable than 43 pounds--making it a lot harder--in my humble opinion--to give up and get off the road to hellthy.

Just a bit of food for thought...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

~a little salt for your bloody mary (trust me, after NYE celebrations, you'll need it!)

No comments: