Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Merits of Volumetrics

Loosely defined, volumetrics is a dietary plan by where you select foods that are bulky and filling, such as fruits and veggies.  While honestly, I need to do more research, I think there is some merit to the basic tenants of volumetrics, which was made obvious to me as I was eating breakfast last Sunday (and truthfully, it was the reason I selected Portion Size as the Weekly Hellthy Habit!)

Sunday mornings are my splurge on breakfast day.  As such, I was eating croissants with raspberry jam, coffee, and blackberries.  I love raspberry jam and I found THE best jam (check it out in the Snacks section of my store!) or maybe it's just because it's only for special occasions that I think it's THE BEST? Anyway, I was looking at the calorie content, which was 50 calories per tablespoon (I actually thought it would be higher, but no, only 50 calories!).  As I was putting the blackberries in a bowl (I'm soooo fancy--ha!), the nutritional label caught my eye.  Quite frankly, I don't read--and really don't often see--nutritional labels on fruits and veggies.  What did I find?  My CUP of blackberries (and yeah, I ate them all!) had 63 calories.

1 CUP vs 1 TABLESPOON

I must admit, I preferred the jam (only slightly, though, because I LOOOOOVE fruit!) but the berries--even at +13 calories--were far more filling, had more vitamins, more anti-oxidants, more fiber, and less sugar.  Blackberries were definitely the hands down winner!

Not that I'm giving up my Sunday jam...but it did give me pause and cause to keep the jam just for Sundays or really special occasions!

~a little salt for your tequila and lime (to prevent scurvy of course!)...but only a lick, a shot, and a wedge since it's the proper serving size & about 105 calories

No comments: